I’ve liked most of Sennheiser’s Momentum headphones, the best of which have been the over-the-ear models. Now the new Momentum True Wireless earphones are joining the line, with an expected ship date of mid-November. At $300 they cost almost twice as much as Apple’s Airpods ($145 at Amazon.com), but Sennheiser promises that they have “uncompromising sound performance and the highest quality materials.”
Their 4 hours of battery life doesn’t quite measure up to the‘ or battery life, but the included fabric-wrapped case delivers two additional charges. No word on whether there’s a fast charge feature that gives you an hour’s worth of battery life from a short charge, but I suspect it’s there.
Sennheiser does make some great microphones, and these earphones should perform really well as a headset. “Noisier environments present little challenge thanks to the two-mic-beamforming technology, which optimizes voice pick-up for crystal clear phone calls and voice assistant interaction,” the company says.
I look forward to trying out the Momentum True Wireless earphones before they’re released and will post a full review as soon as I get my hands on a pair. In the meantime, here’s a look at their key features:
- 7mm dynamic drivers
- AAC and Qualcomm aptX codec support
- 4 hours of battery life (charging case delivers two extra charges)
- Two-mic-beamforming technology optimizes voice pick-up for cell-phone calls
- You can adjust EQ settings via Sennheiser Smart Control companion app for iOS and Android devices
- Price: $300 (no word yet on international pricing but we’ll add it as soon as we get it)
- Availability: Mid-November
Read more: All of CNET’s coverage of IFA 2018